2.2.1. Management at the Designing Phase
For design institutes of the Division, the year 2018 marks a beginning of a new phase — establishment of the joint design institute. Thus far, unified structures responsible for technical support, budget, development and information technologies of the institutes have been formally established. Uniform processes are being built, the uniform production is actually operating.
Within the implementation of re-engineering and design processes digitalization program, a range of projects were being implemented in 2018. First of all, the projects were aimed at the following:
- transfer to design on the basis of reference books elaborated based on unification and standardization of equipment and design solutions;
- development and enhancement of efficiency of quality assurance systems for the design products release and design technologies development;
- creation of efficient resource management system in the design institutes;
- development of solutions for integration between the industry and divisional information systems;
- improvement of 3D-modeling processes.
Within the program on NPP products creation, works related to unification of equipment and standardization of design engineering solutions were performed.
A tool for generation and storage of standard technical requirements for the equipment and generic design engineering solutions was developed on the basis of technical solution using the functionality of SmartPlant Foundation information platform.
As a result of this work, the basis was laid for creation of unified reference books, use of which will allow enhancing the efficiency of design processes significantly and reducing the timeframe of design and detailed design documentation.
Within the activities under the project “NPP Product Integration”, work on the target architecture development for the integration of information systems of main NPP construction participants was performed regarding assurance of digital exchange of information on the movement of the equipment used in the NPP construction projects at all phases of NPP construction projects lifecycle.
Results of this work were used as a basis for preparation of the plan of measures to integrate industry and divisional information systems of Rosatom State Corporation.
Regarding the development and enhancement of efficiency of quality assurance systems for the design products release and design technologies development, the following RPS projects were implemented in 2018:
- implementation of tools and IT-services ensuring quality control at all stages and phases of I&C documentation development in a pilot overseas project of NPP construction;
- quality improvement of design and detailed design documentation to prevent re-occurrence and reduce the number of non-conformances in the design products.
Results of these projects implementation are, for instance, the elaborated and enforced “Procedure for I&C Development in the Overseas NPP Construction Project Based on the Quality by Design Concept” which ensures control of work performance quality at all stages, phases, processes and procedures of documentation development, as well as “Regulations on “Design Fault” Non-conformance Management during CEW and PCW” at a Russian NPP construction site.
Efficiency of using these regulations is supported by the fact that the share of documentation returned by the Customer on the grounds of standard comments in SPF in the pilot project did not exceed 12%, which complies with the target value of RPS project.
In 2018, works on the development of design quality management methodology using quality gates were performed.
As a result of these works, Methodology of Quality by Design of JSC ASE EC, which formalizes the arrangement of quality assurance processes, was elaborated and put into effect.
Plan of measures to continue these activities in 2019 was prepared. It includes solutions to the following tasks:
- reorganization of design quality service in JSC ASE EC;
- full-scale implementation of the developed methodology for quality by design;
- arrangement of quality control under checklists with uniform evaluation criteria;
- development of means for quality control processes automation.
Regarding assurance of functionality of information systems of TCM NC program (http://tcmnc.ru) in terms of providing these systems with the required scope of data, works were performed in 2018 to form digital bills of quantities and specifications for equipment and materials.
The main result of these works performance is development of the following:
- methodology for formation of digital bills of quantities and specifications for equipment and materials;
- standard unified reference books on works and materials;
- prototype of information system for formation of digital bills of quantities and specifications for equipment and materials based on the functionality of SmartPlant Foundation information platform.
Within pilot testing of the results of this work, materials on digitalization of bills of quantities and specifications for equipment and materials in the formats agreed with these systems were elaborated and handed over for use in information systems of TCM NC program.
In 2018, a large scope of works was in the area of 3D modeling processes improvement.
As a result of work performance, dozens of methodological, organizational and administrative documents were issued. Development of 3D-model and design documentation reached a conceptually new level.
In 2018, these works resulted in 3D-models developed for the pilot overseas construction project:
- ~ 150 buildings and structures;
- ~ 1,500 process systems;
- ~ 1,000,000 items of equipment;
- ~ 5,000,000 elements in the model;
- ~ 50,000,000 attributes of the elements.
Development of design technologies in this direction will ensure in the future real prospects in efficiency enhancement:
- design solutions verification;
- calculations of building structures;
- calculations of pipelines;
- safety analysis and assessment;
- cost estimate;
- arrangement of graphic documentation issue.
Based on the analysis of the results of IT-projects implementation in 2018, a roadmap “Digitalization of NPP Construction Processes” was formed which includes development of improvement areas for the design processes started in 2018 and new areas identified as s result of analysis of materials obtained at the stage of examination of design processes conducted in 2018.
Consideration of customers’ requirements and previous experience during NPP design
Requirements of Customers, which are stated in contracts, are transferred into terms of reference that are subsequently submitted to Responsible Employees for execution.
To consider the previous experience, there is a documented “Procedure for Consideration of other Projects Experience When Developing the NPP Design Documentation” developed in JSC ATOMPROEKT. In order to establish uniform requirements for the process “Consideration of NPP Design, Construction and Operation Experience”, the relevant regulations are being developed in JSC ASE EC.
Currently, AtomExpert information system is undergoing trial operation in JSC ASE EC. Its introduction will allow improving the quality of documentation issued by ruling out replication of errors from the previous projects. The developed system establishes the feedback from the project implementation to its developers.
Within 2017-2018, non-conformances submitted to Technical Division from JSC “Rosenergoatom”, nuclear power plants and AtomExpert information base were analyzed. The comments were systemized, corrective and preventive measures were determined and communicated to responsible employees with a purpose of their consideration during the development of design documentation on other facilities, including overseas ones.
Innovative design technology: virtual NPP
- Use of advanced supercomputer technologies for the analysis of a wide range of processes at an NPP unit, applying related detailed models, 1D-codes of improved estimate and 3D engineering calculation codes.
- Mathematical models of NPP systems and equipment with a various degree of detail are used for substantiation and verification of technical and process solutions, as well as safety of the NPP being designed.
- Use and development of a unique software and hardware complex “Virtual NPP Power Unit” (SHC VPU) allows creating and using Virtual Power Units (VPU) for integrated verification of NPP designs. Besides, high quality of verification is achieved owing to a realistic representation of NPP systems and equipment, elements of main control room and automatic equipment, as well as description of NPP processes on the basis of improved estimate codes, which sets the complex apart from a full-scale simulator.
- Highly visualized and clear process outlook and visual expression of VPU control are ensured due to interactive tools based on multi-touch panels and control software SimInTech.
Fields of application:
- Use of supercomputer technologies for justification of technical solution and safety of facilities being designed.
- Design solutions verification at the Virtual Power Unit
Prospect of VPU use:
- Use in pre-commissioning works;
- As an application to projects created for operating organizations;
- Processing and verification of operators’ instructions, including those at operating power units;
- As a simulator and a learning tool.
Basic effects of technology application:
- Reduced number of non-conformances in the designs of equipment, process systems, electrical systems and I&C systems, renunciation of excess conservatism of the design solutions.
- Availability of detailed research models which allow verification of various technical solutions and obtaining justification and clear understanding of processes in NPP systems and equipment for different situations (improvement of technical and economic performance indicators).
- Optimization of expensive experiments number and enhancement of projects competitiveness on the global market.
- Assurance of compliance with IAEA requirements and European requirements EUR(D) regarding the use of engineering simulators, which NPP VPU are in essence.
Effects of technology introduction at the commissioning and operation phases:
- Visual representation of processes in the NPP systems under different modes of a power unit operation, considering mutual influence of the systems.
- Visual representation and possibility to test the main control room elements prior to creation of a full-scale simulator, including a possibility of training.
- Reduction of power units commissioning timeframe due to introduction of an efficient calculation toolbox, which allows speeding up the process of individual systems adjustment and integrated testing, as well as a preliminary check of PCW programs.
- Determination of a potential effect of power unit systems upgrade.
Digital technologies implementation in designing
At the end of 2018, Rosatom State Corporation developed the Unified Digital Strategy (UDS) in order to ensure digital transformation.
Within the UDS, program “Re-engineering and Digitalization of NPP Construction Processes” was drawn up and approved. The objective of the program is implementation of integrated digital solutions to ensure quality, time and cost of NPP construction, as well as for the NPP standardization and unification.
Projects included in the program are aimed to solve the main business task — timely construction of nuclear facilities (NF) with the set budget and quality parameters.
There are 4 main areas defined within the program:
- Design quality assurance;
- Digitalization of end-to-end cross-functional and intradivisional production chains;
- Construction time and cost management;
- Development of Multi-D digital platform.
Based on the results of work in 2018, managers for each area were determined, detailed roadmaps were drawn up, works on implementation of schedules started actively.
Regarding digitalization of designing, Cluster 1 of “Design Quality Assurance” Program was formed. It includes 3 projects:
- Update of design IT-architecture;
- Development of design management system on the basis of functional and cost-oriented approach;
- Development of unified industry system of RRI.
A project of NPP construction time and cost reduction. The main purpose of the Division is to increase projects competitiveness by means of including the motivation tools to reduce the cost and time in the Design business process. The Division implements the system of investment and construction projects motivation, the purpose of which is creation of conditions that contribute to reducing the cost and time of the facilities construction. The motivation system is aimed at forming the conditions for the material and non-material interest of the designer to reduce the timeframe of design, the duration and cost of construction while ensuring high technical and economic indicators of the facility being designed, reducing operating costs. The system has an individual focus, provides the formation of incentives for the adoption of design solutions for each designer, regardless of the position held. At the same time, the designer develops an awareness of the importance of adopting efficient design solutions.
- increase in the weight of the indicators aimed at achieving the goals in terms of time and cost when forming KPI maps of the responsible managers for 2018;
- optimization of the cost reduction proposals submission and evaluation process within the Division;
- training course “Design Economics” was conducted for the Division’s employees involved in the CRP submission process;
- additional training in the use of agile-methods in project management was conducted to expand the application of agile practices in the work of the design unit employees.
Use of Multi-D digital platform in the nuclear industry
A distinctive feature of business of the Engineering Division of Rosatom State Corporation is a continuous improvement of management technologies and upgrade of production processes. Among the main developments, there is introduction of a unique Multi-D technology which allows constructing complex engineering facilities within the established time and at a fixed price.
This digital platform is an integrity of business process methodology, models, databases, software solutions which allow solving the tasks related to management of the complete lifecycle of a capital construction facility.
The digital platform is a unified information space for algorithm-type interaction of experts involved in the processes of design, construction and operation of capital construction facility with roles taken by them and distribution of responsibilities. Such platform ensures creation and filling of digital model of a capital construction facility and, by means of it, ensures control and possibility to manage the Project progress. This function can be implemented both using any set of instruments and due to information import from information means (resources) of the Facility Customer or its contractors.
Creation of digital industrial and technology digital platform will ensure creation of the added cost (for goods and services) within the framework of the digital economy and cost reduction by means of modeling and optimization of design, construction and managerial solutions; use of reference standard solutions, transfer of routine works to smart computer programs, reduction of production operations time period and minimization of errors and remakes.
Besides, the creation of digital industrial and technology digital platform will allow the industry to get the following benefits:
- industry digitalization;
- enhancement of efficiency of industry specialization and cooperation based on digital platform solutions and end-to-end digital links;
- advance digitalization of capital construction and other segments of the real sector of economy;
- reduced dependence on the import into CAD and other software.
Projects in the field of automation and digitalization of NPP operation processes
The reporting year saw continuation of earlier started works on the creation of Multi-D national platform: works on the creation of NPP operation process management system (Multi-D Operations subsystem) including several systems integrated between themselves:
- operation management system based on IBM Maximo for Nuclear Power;
- information model for operation (unified platform containing all information on the plant, including 3D-model, smart diagrams of processes, electrical circuits, general layout, calculation results, documents).
This system will provide for collection of all information required for operating and maintenance personnel of the NPP to determine the current status of equipment, storage of the results of equipment walk-downs and repair, scheduled dates of repair works, types of repair works, as well as information on the required materials, tools, personnel and duration of repair.
Implementation of this project as a generic replicated solution related to NPP equipment maintenance and repair management for JSC “Rosenergoatom”, ensuring generation of the source of information on operation to improve design solutions and design quality, paves the way for creating references at Russian NPPs and forming proposals on the use of this solutions for foreign Customers of NPP construction projects.
2.2.2. Innovative Projects, Patenting of Intellectual Activity Results
188.8.131.52. Activities in the field of science and innovation
In 2018, a new division executing the functions of HOS (head organization for standardization), related to siting, survey and design of nuclear facilities for peaceful use and submission of work results to Rosatom State Corporation, was established on the basis of Science and Innovation Unit of the Engineering Division. It is planned that the HOS functions will be executed by the existing structural subdivisions of the Engineering Division with the involvement of methodological support organizations (MSO) and, if necessary, outside designated companies from the nuclear industry.
Work of Unified Scientific and Technical Research Council (USTRC) of JSC ASE EC was expanded. Open discussion platform of the scientific and technical community gathers experts from enterprises of the Engineering Division, Rosatom State Corporation, outside designated companies, authorities supervising nuclear and radiation safety.
USRTC held meetings on the following topics:
- Engineering solutions on the NF sites with a high seismic activity (NUVIA Group, TsKTI-Vibroseism Ltd.);
- Technical diagnostics in the NPP designs with VVER (DSTC JSC);
- Arrangement of cast-in-situ structures concreting technology;
- Relevant issues of calculation codes development (Vedeneev VNIIG, Orgenergostroy Institute JSC);
- Standardization of LBB (leak before break) concept requirements for pipelines of NPP reactor coolant circuit (Rostechnadzor, TC-322 Nuclear Engineering, SEC NRS), etc.
The year 2018 saw the start of a project on replacement of traditional assortment of pipelines for NPP safety classes 2–4 with the unified assortment based on up-to-date design approaches and materials ensuring maintenance-free service life of 60 years.
New design approaches are based on the use of method of pipeline system elements calculation with regard to demand (necessary pressure, temperature, safety class, water chemistry for a given system), further conversion of calculated elements in the 3D-model using Smart 3D and assembly of ready-made pipeline system.
Such solution improves the facility safety owing to application of stronger materials which reduce the pipeline system weight simultaneously. Besides, the calculation made for the selection of pipeline system main dimensions and based on the specific operating conditions provided a precise determination of necessary materials and dimensions of pipeline details for their operation during 60 years. These solutions are stipulated by the R&D that have been carried out. The results are accepted by SEC NRS, TC-322, JSC VO Safety, JSC “Rosenergoatom”, STC of Rosatom State Corporation. This assortment was also accepted as the generic one for all NPP with the service life over 60 years by Rosatom State Corporation’s decision.
As the main and primary developer of design and technical requirements for the NPP facility in general, the Engineering Division creates demand for new scientific and innovative values and has a necessary database of requirements for projects at all their phases.
With a purpose to form a plan of advanced research and development, a competition for avant-projects selection started in Rosatom State Corporation at the end of 2017.
The objective of the competition was to select the most prospective and efficient projects for implementation at the R&D phase in 2018. The key part of an avant-project is a report on analytical studies which justifies the expediency and possibility of R&D. Rosatom State Corporation appointed JSC ASE EC as the responsible Customer for eight avant-projects.
The following was implemented and prepared for avant-projects implementation:
- patent research into the status of a selected scientific and technical area, including issues related to creation, production and market of prospective products, technologies, services;
- search reports, analytical note on the patent research into benchmarking of R&D results, scientific novelty, relevance, practical significance;
- analytical reviews of the problem being solved, solution, scientific and technical novelty, relevance, technological practicability, practical significance, economics and the market, preliminary structure of expenses for performance of works, annotation on the content of first-stage works.
The final reporting scientific and technical documentation was prepared:
- terms of reference;
- calendar plan;
- structure of expenses;
- report on analytical studies;
All avant-projects, which the Engineering Division was the Customer of, were successfully implemented in 2018. In the future, Rosatom State Corporation intends to hold such competitions annually.
Avant-project “Justification of Works on the Creation of Conceptual (Generic) Solution for NPP with VVER-1200 and VVER-TOI Based on Seismic Isolating Systems (SIS) for Areas of High Seismic Activity” was implemented.
Plans to achieve technical leadership of the Engineering Division
The Engineering Division of Rosatom State Corporation deals with the development and implementation of technical programs aimed at the achievement of technical leadership over the main competitors in the industry. Thus, in the 4th quarter of 2018, large-scale work was completed to develop and approve three individual Key Technology Programs necessary for the development of VVER technology in the long-term:
- R&D subprogram “Technology Development for Pressurized Power Reactor with Coolant Supercritical Parameters* ”;
- subprogram “Development of VVER Spectral Regulation Technologies” to solve the tasks related to achievement of conceptually new operating qualities of VVER technology and assurance of the highest safety level;
- subprogram “Improvement of Design Solutions for VVER Traditional Technology” to solve the tasks related to assurance of unconditional competitiveness of domestic NPP designs in terms of specific technical and economic indicators and the most fundamental technical solutions.
Commencement of works is scheduled for 2019, work planning horizon is 3 years.
Justification and preparation for implementation of R&D projects (starting from 2019) aimed at the formation of regulatory and technical base for introduction of industry product solutions to polymer composite materials (PCM) application at nuclear capital construction facilities into the design production were completed:
- R&D project “Development of the Library of Regulatory and Technical Documentation (RTD) Regulating the Design of Temporary Roads at NPP Construction Sites and Application of New PCM in the Road Building”;
- R&D project “Development of the Library of Regulatory and Technical Documentation (RTD) for Use of Equipment and Pipelines in Polymer Structural Materials in the NF Projects”.
Elaboration of basic procedure for development and improvement of systematic work in the Engineering Division related to identification, initiation, preparation and implementation of R&D works aimed at scientific and technical support of processes of the NPP construction in 33 countries (Egypt, Bulgaria, Hungary, Bangladesh, China, etc.) was completed.
Implementation of a range of R&D aimed at the improvement of VVER technology.
Creation of integrated package of regulatory, technical and methodological documentation regulating the following areas:
- digitalization of construction processes and technologies;
- generation of bases of the data/knowledge on technologies and aspects of use at NPP construction sites (potential sites);
- elaboration of standard documentation on the use of work results.
In 2018, a prototype of NPP information model (NPP IM) was created on the basis of WEB-3.0 technologies. This technology is Semantic Web (W3C.org).
A specific feature of the technology is use of ontology* as the means of describing metadata* and subject-matter area. The ontology is also a key to integration with other similar systems, i.e. using the ontological approach.
In 2018, the NPP ontology was developed. The NPP ontology has mapping (references) to similar concepts in European ontologies SAREF4BLD and IFC-OWL. The NPP IM prototype is implemented as a portal, is platform-independent, does not use proprietary software (PS)* (based on OpenSource and Russian developments). It does not license limitations to the number of workplaces (number of users). It is provided with the maximum possible data-centric architecture* and unification of concepts used.
Results of the Intellectual Activity (RIA)
Development of the innovative potential is the key factor for technical leadership of the Engineering Division on the international market of construction of NPP with VVER reactor. The Division’s management pays special attention to intellectual capital increase, development of knowledge management system and assurance of key products and technologies legal protection in the RF and abroad.
Within the framework of international patenting of technologies of the NPP with VVER reactor, the Division is implementing 3 (three) investment projects related to legal protection of RIA of the companies within its overseas scope of management for the period until 2022.
Based on the results of 2018, 112 national and regional applications for inventions were submitted in 30+ countries.
Starting from 2017, the basic trend in the Division’s patent policy is an increase in the scope of patenting of identified protectable solutions which can be protected as inventions and useful models, as well as the growth of international patenting related to the implementation of overseas NPP construction projects.
|APPLICATIONS IN THE RF|
|Submitted applications for receipt of RF patents for inventions, useful models||3||13||26|
|Submitted applications for state registration of computer software and databases||23||20||7|
|Submitted national and regional applications (30+ countries)||20||106||112|
|Submitted international applications in accordance with PCT procedure (Patent Cooperation Treaty)||3||10||6|
|RECEIVED PROTECTION DOCUMENTS|
|RF patents for inventions, useful models||8||5||15|
|Certificates for computer software and databases||39||26||12|
|Foreign states’ patents, including decisions to issue patents||—||—||11|